Sunday, March 25, 2012

Assistant Celina - hey, that's me!

Let's start off today's post with a random quote:

“Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.”
― Confucius

Oh my gosh is that true or WHAT?
I'll give you a hint, it's TRUE.

About a week ago I had a nice little interview at my former school, John Casablancas and lucky lucky (and  hard-working, i'll add) me, was hired on as a Make-Up Instructor's Assistant.
Yaaaaaaaaaaaay!
And you know what the even better part is. The instructor I'm working for is so far beyond talented I swear she's not a real human being! I was fortunate enough to study under her more than amazing skills, and now I get to be her little slave Assistant! Haha. Okay but seriously, I am stoked!

Her name is Tracy Lai make-up artist extrodinaire! She loves blood and gore & specializes in the Special Effects department. She also has 3 of the cutest ferrets in the world, and would drink caramel frappuccinos every day for the rest of her life if she could.
Check out all the work shes done by clicking here! Find her on facebook here
Stalk her in real life, by google maping her house here! LOL tricked you!

Tracy is probably the most fun person I have ever had the pleasure of working with and I love that I am constantly learning whenever I am around her.
I am also so so so proud and amazed by her and the fact that she has just created her own line of motion picture prosthetic pieces! This is huge! You can find her line called TLFX for sale at the SFX/Make-Up store in Vancouver called Holly North. What a huge accomplishment!! I'm telling you, this gal has got things going for her! She is so dedicated to her craft, a wonderful teacher, a hilarious friend, and an even better "boss". 

So far I've assisted her twice, and we life-casted faces for her class's old-aging assignment.
I talked about it in a previous blog post when I did it for school. Life Casting is when you make an impression of someone (any part of their body) to make a customized prosthetic piece for that person/actor/model. It's a very cool process involving Alginate to form the shape and make an extremely accurate negative of whatever you are casting, then when you make a mould of that impression, you can sculpt your prosthetic piece so it fits that part of the body perfectly.

I'm more than excited for my new little part-time assisting job that it doesn't even phase me to have to take the dirty skytrain some days for work. But in all honestly, I couldn't think of a better person than Tracy to help and encourage me to become the make-up artist that I want to be.
You never stop learning in this industry!

xox Celina

1 comment:

  1. You are hilarious. Thanks for the amazingly kind words. I couldn't ask to be surrounded by better people in my life, and that includes you.

    ReplyDelete